Sunday, November 23, 2008

MIA

It's been awhile, I know. Been busy in the Bacon house. Coordinating my work schedule with my class schedule with my teaching in the schools schedule is just freaking insane. I'll be very happy come Christmas vacation. Attached are a few pics. I'll start from August.

My kid loves the zoo. We have a membership and live just down the street. We spent a lot of time there this summer. I'd like to go once it gets super cold and see if the animals are any more lively. It's got to smell better. I want to foster a real appreciation for these animals in Hawkins. I want him to learn from them, not just be entertained by them. Okay, I have the capacity to go on a tangent here. There's a seedy underbelly to the zoo that I just can't quite shake. I'll just stop and say that I don't want Hawkins to think that the animals are there for his amusement, but for a bigger purpose that will hopefully lead to an understanding of the wants and needs of the animals (which probably are not fulfilled by the zoo but whatever).





These were taken in Bloomington, IN, in early October. We were there for a world music fest which was freaking fantastic. Saw some of the best performances I've ever seen. If you check out one band this year, it should be La Cor de la Plana. Dear God, they blew me away. We had a super fun time and got to catch up with some old friends.




This is trick or treating at the zoo in one hundred degree heat. I'm surprised poor Hawkins did not pass out. There were children everywhere. The zoo again...






We also have a membership to the big art museum here, the Speed. In the basement of the museum, they have a kids interactive museum. Hawkins loves it here. He's celebrating his birthday at the Speed. Anyway, these photos were from a few weeks ago. They have all these stations. Hawkins also wrote his first poem here with magnetic poetry. His poem: High playtime/Hate school/Reluctant transportation/Green. Man, that is deep!






And of course, Halloween!!!! Here Hawkins creates a masterpeice on his pumpkin and then we go trick or treating at Aunt Mo's.






Hawkins really likes his rosary. And like every normal kid, boxes.






Last but not least, we took Hawkins with us to vote so that he could be a part of history. Our polling place was only a few blocks away and so we walked. Later on in the evening, we went to a party, but did not stay long because I needed to focus. My laptop has been my constant companion this election cycle and I didn't feel right excluding it from the culmination of our election adventures. So, we headed home to watch the returns for a quiet evening with just the six of us: Dinky, Sneakers (who like Obama is both black and white), Hawkins, Scott, laptop and me. The election party we went to wouldn't have been complete without a cardboard cutout of Obama. And the evening wouldn't have been complete, of course, had we not posed for lame pictures with said cutout.






That's pretty much it. Happy Democracy and Peace.

1 comment:

Lauriann said...

Fantastic looking family! So glad to see everything is going well. We have a ton to be thankful for, don't we? Take care of yourselves and post again before that boy of yours goes to Kindergarten...Happy Thanksgiving!