Thursday, May 29, 2008

Back to the Grind

We've been back from the beach now about three days and I'm ready for another vacation. Scott, Hawkins and I had a total blast, though! Spent a few days with Scott's parents and brother's family at Carolina Beach in NC. Hawkins got to see the ocean for the first time! The vastness of the water was a little too much for him, but he really loved playing in the sand. We set him under the umbrella and there he sat for hours digging in the sand, filling his dump truck and pails, burying himself and surrepticiously eating as much sand as possible. Scott and I, on the other hand, did a lot of sitting, basking in the sun, dozing, drinking bloody mary's, snacking, etc...

We also had the misguided notion to take a jetski tour of a nearby island. I've been on jetskis before, but never for an hour of nonstop movement. We were following a tour guide and so really had no choice but to follow him no matter how FREAKING fast he went. We basically drove 60 mph without stopping for an hour straight. Did I mention that my marvelous husband in the driver's seat had never actually driven a jetski? Poor Scott. Poor me. It was hilarious and traumatizing. Like many experiences, the memories are much fonder than the actual event. I can't help giggling just thinking about my frantic screams to Scott to gun it in order to keep up with our speed demon tour guide. And Scott and I cussing up a storm trying to stay on the damn jetski as we dealt with the wakes of about eight trillion boats going top speed. Needless to say, I did not bother to offer my driving services. I figured if someone was going to look like an idiot it had much better be Scott. Next year, we've decided to do something a little more our speed like kayaking in the lagoons or something.

Aaaaah. So, yes, vacation is over. Unfortunately, this means that so is my summer. Well, sort of. I start back to school next week and am in for an intense two months of classes. Then I get a three week break and another trip to the beach before beginning my fall classes. Eeek! I'm so nervous. I start working in the schools in the Fall for one full day a week. We'll see how I do...

Anyway, life is good. The cold has not been kind to my garden this year, but hopefully should start seeing some fruits of my labors soon. I've planted three types of heirloom tomatoes, strawberries, watermelon, eggplant, onions, peppers, zucchini, squash, and lots of herbs. Some neighborhood rascals have already eaten my kale and spinach plants. I don't know who or what it is, but I think I have a renegade bunny watching my every move and eating things when I least expect it. More on this drama as it unfolds....

Attached are some photos from the beach. Later!







3 comments:

adam said...

Hawkins begins the meeting of the chairs.

Does Hawkins like doughnuts? I do.

Anonymous said...

I love Hawkins Bacon!

Lauriann said...

Hawkins looks like your dad in that beach hat. Was that your dads hat? Ha! He is getting so big and freaking adorable. Glad you guys are having a great time together. Thats what its all about...